Frequently Asked Questions About Paying for College

Don't See The Answer to Your Financial Aid Question? Get Answers:
Call 1-855-622-2332 (toll free)

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

  • First, you need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) Go to to get a PIN.
  • Fill out a FAFSA form. You can submit your FAFSA between January 1 and June 30, but the earlier the better. Financial Aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Early applications have a better chance of receiving a maximum award.
  • Apply for Scholarships.
  • The Glendale Community College school code is 001076.
  • The address is address 6000 W. Olive Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85302.

Is there a cost to apply for Financial Aid?


Who is eligible to receive financial aid?

To be considered for Federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be past the age for compulsory school attendance in Arizona (over 16 years of age) and not concurrently enrolled in high school, an elementary or secondary school program, or taking college credit to earn a high school diploma or GED.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED (effective July 1, 2013)
  • Be a U.S. citizen, national or eligible permanent resident of the United States
  • Be enrolled or admitted to a degree or certificate program at GCC which is eligible for Federal aid
  • Not owe a repayment of a Federal Grant or be in default on a Federal Stafford Loan
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the Maricopa Community College District Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
  • If you are male, you must register with Selective Services

How do I order a tax transcript?

Tax transcripts can be ordered through the IRS website, by mail or by phone. You will need the tax filer's social security number, date of birth and the address exactly as printed on the 1040, 1040EZ or 1040A. Please visit the IRS Website for additional information on ordering your tax transcripts.

How long does it take to have my financial aid award determined?

Approximately three months. The processing of applications begins mid-spring, and re-evaluated each semester based on enrollment.

Where can I find my financial aid award?

It will be posted to your Student Center, where you can accept or deny each award.

What are student loans?

Loans are funds borrowed which must be repaid. Repayment requirements vary based on the type of loan borrowed and when the loan was disbursed. For more information regarding student loans, please visit or GCC's Student Loan page. 

What is Entrance Counseling?

All students wishing to borrow student loan funds must complete an entrance counseling session prior to receiving loan funds. Entrance Counseling assists students in understanding their rights and responsibilities when borrowing federal student loans. A link to this process can be found within your award notification in your Student Center. Entrance counseling is completed using your PIN at

What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

This is a legally binding document that sets the terms of your student loans. By signing the MPN you are promising to repay your student loan debt regardless of whether you graduate or are satisfied with your education. The MPN can be signed using your PIN at

What is a "Census Date"?

This is the date when your financial aid award is calculated based on the number of class credits you enrolled in. The amount of aid you receive depends on if you are a full time, three-quarter time, half time or quarter-time student. 12 credits are considered full-time, so you would receive a full award. If you drop classes after your census date, you may be required to pay back financial aid money.

How will dropping a class affect my financial aid?

If you drop a class(es), withdraw from class or are rostered out of class after your census date, you may be required to pay back financial aid money. Please contact the Financial Aid office about your specific situation. You can find more information here: Financial Aid Withdrawal Policies and Procedures.

How does repeating a class affect my financial aid?

A student may repeat a previously passed class once for an improved grade. Once a class is passed twice the credit associated with another attempt of that class cannot be counted towards your enrollment level for federal financial aid purposes. All credits of repeated coursework are included in the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation. This could affect your eligibility to continue to receive federal assistance.

Can I receive financial aid at more than one school?

In most instances it is possible for one Maricopa Community College to fund enrollment for classes at another Maricopa Community College. To determine eligibility, a completed Consortium Agreement form must be submitted to the parent school by their deadline date. Download the Consortium Agreement form (.pdf) from

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

To receive Federal Financial Aid, students must achieve satisfactory progress toward completing their degree. Academic Progress is measured by your Grade Point Average (GPA) and rate of completion. Please refer to the measurements outline in the Maricopa County Community College District Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

What is Federal Work Study (FWS)?

These are federal funds paid to students for work completed. These jobs are normally related to the students program of study. For additional information regarding FWS, please visit GCC's FWS website.

How do I apply for Tribal funding?

Most Tribes require a FAFSA be submitted to the Federal processor first. Contact your Tribal Office to obtain a Tribal application and information to apply for Tribal funding.

How do I obtain my Tuition Payment Statement  (form 1098-T)?

You will receive a notice in your student email when your Tuition Payment Statement 1098-T is available.




Building: Enrollment Center (EC)
Phone: 1-855-622-2332 (toll free)
Fax: (623) 845-3310
Hours of Operation


Mon. - Thurs. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Mon. - Wed. 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thurs. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.