Exercise Science & Personal Training
Certificate of Completion
Associate in Applied Science
Since 1985, fitness professionals have received comprehensive training and certification at GCC.
|We are one of the first colleges in the U.S. to offer a Personal Trainer certification. Our program, which combines lectures and hands-on lessons, is taught by instructors with master’s degrees and years of industry experience.||
Fitness professionals can earn continuing education (C.E.) credits in many of our personal training and nutrition courses.
Transfer and Continue Your Fitness Education
Start at GCC, then build on AAS degree coursework to complete a degree in Recreation and Wellness, Kinesiology, Health Science, Physical Education, Exercise Science or Athletic Training.
Maricopa's university transfer partners will accept your AAS credits as a block so that you are at least halfway to your bachelor’s degree upon transferring. See the Maricopa Exercise Science transfer brochure (.pdf) for more information.
NAU offers bachelor's degrees in Health Sciences-Fitness Wellness; Physical Education; Exercise Science; and a master's in Athletic Training. See more information (.pdf). 90:30 programs fit your busy schedule. Take 90 credits at GCC and 30 credits from NAU locations in Surprise, North Valley and Phoenix, or online.
- Exercise and Wellness (Fitness and Wellness Specialist)
- Health Education and Health Promotion
- Health Sciences (Healthy Lifestyles Coaching)
- Community Health
- Community Sports Management
- Parks and Recreation Management (Therapeutic Rec)
- Nutrition (Dietetics) (RD)
- Nutrition (Human Nutrition)
- Nutrition (Food and Nutrition Management)
- Nutrition (Food and Tourism Management)
- Nutrition (Nutrition Communication) (No MAPP)
Grand Canyon University offers bachelor's degrees in Exercise Science and Athletic Training.
What Skills Do I Need To Succeed in Personal Fitness?
- Communication: deliver a message that’s well received
- Leadership: be an ethical role model who’s able to instruct
- Knowledge of the human body: understand physiology, anatomy, nutrition, weight management, and general strength and fitness principles
- Knowledge of legal issues, emergency procedures, CPR certification, fitness equipment
- Ability to perform health screenings and program development for all ages and fitness levels
What Do Fitness Professionals Do on the Job?
Fitness professionals design fitness programs and supervise workouts for clients who want to improve their fitness level in a safe, motivated and effective manner. Opportunities include Personal Training, Strength and Conditioning, Youth and Senior Fitness, Group Exercise, Weight Management, Health Coaching, Corporate Wellness and Club Management.
P1Kids Health and Fitness Program Wants You!
P1Kids Health and Fitness Program is seeking coaches/trainers/interns to lead fourth and fifth graders in the Isaac Elementary School District through the physical activity P1Kids Curriculum. For more information, please visit our Job Hotlink page.
Support Exercise Science and Personal Training Students
Donate to the GCC Exercise Science Fund and assist students preparing to become fitness professionals. You can make a difference by donating online or by check. Please indicate the name GCC Exercise Science Fund and fund number 4185-1.
Our Latest Blog Posts
A large portion of my job as a library...
Laurey, one of our senior members, enjoys the...